adventure travel photo

U.S. Embassies Consulates Diplomatic Services Overseas Citizens Abroad

The information below is provided for general information only and may not be applicable in a particular case. Questions involving interpretation of specific U.S. or foreign laws should be addressed to appropriate legal counsel. This information is from the official U.S. Government source. Inclusion of U.S. Government links from Adventure Land Travel does not imply endorsement of contents.

Facebook Adventure Page    Twitter Adventure Page    YouTube Adventure Page    LinkedIn Adventure Page


Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) in the U.S. Department of State and our embassies and consulates abroad are charged with providing consular protection and services to United States citizens abroad. The safety of U.S. citizens traveling and residing abroad is the highest priority of the Department of State. Service to the public is OCS’s mission. Our web site contains extensive information that we hope will be helpful to you. Please review our web-based material first as it may answer your questions. If you are looking for information on a particular subject, this index should assist you in locating the topic. We give credit to the Embassies | Consulates | and Diplomatic Missions at U.S. for making this information public and giving us the chance to contribute even more to the usefulness of their services.

If you are inquiring about an actual life or death emergency, or require other assistance not addressed in the web-based information, contact Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) or after-hours duty officer by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (202) 647-5225 (as of 2019. (see sources below) Always check for updates.)

Destitute U.S. citizens in need of help overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate or the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at (888) 407-4747 (or from overseas +1 202-501-4444), for information about other assistance options and eligibility requirements.

Financial Services Abroad:
Emergency Financial Assistance

Life Events While Abroad

If you are abroad for an extended period, you may experience major life events, such as the birth of a child, marriage, or retirement. Other countries have different procedures and requirements than the United States. Find out what you can do to prepare for these events and how the State Department can help:
International Travel While Abroad

Getting Help in an Emergency

If you are overseas and in need of emergency assistance contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. If you are concerned about a loved one overseas, please call:
From the U.S. + Canada - 1-888-407-4747
From Overseas - +1 202-501-4444
Main address:
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street NW
Washington, DC 20520

Consult the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate’s website for a list of hospitals and doctors. Your hotel concierge may also be a good resource. The availability and quality of medical services available can vary greatly depending on your location. Read the Medical Facilities and Health Information section in our country information pages. Review our Medical Insurance page for information about medical coverage abroad, air ambulances, and medical evacuation companies. Limited emergency medical assistance loans may be available on a reimbursable basis for eligible temporarily destitute U.S. citizens and their qualified dependents. Your U.S. passports will be limited at the time the loan is issued and in most cases you will not be issued a new passport until the loan is paid in full.

What assistance is available for U.S. citizens with medical emergencies abroad?

Coordinating Victim Services - OVC
Role of the Office of Overseas Citizens Services

As an intermediary between U.S.-based victim service providers and embassies and consulates abroad, the Office of Overseas Citizens Services has extensive experience and capacity in both the victim services field and embassy operations worldwide.

The Office of Overseas Citizens Services
Acts as a liaison with embassies and consulates to expedite requests for information or assistance. Promotes understanding of victims' needs and the impact of victimization. Identifies ways that embassies or consulates can provide support for victim assistance. Receives requests for information and assistance and formulates them in ways that embassies or consulates can use to take action.

Help to define expectations for victim assistance based on country - specific variables.
OVC Citizen Resources

List of U.S. Embassies and Consulates

Civil and personal documents may differ from country to country, depending on availability. There may be additional instructions for obtaining civil documents or additional documents you need to submit. These will be submitted to the NVC on Step 6. Select the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you will apply for a visa to learn what additional requirements there are, if any.

Please click on the link of the city where you will apply for a visa for specific information. A - Z Visa for specific information. A - Z

The U.S. currently has 294 physical embassies, consulates, and diplomatic missions across the world, with 27 in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, which is more than any other nation.

Where does the US have embassies?

An embassy is normally located in the capital city. It may have branches, known as consulates, in other cities. U.S. embassies and consulates abroad, as well as foreign embassies and consulates in the United States, have a special status.

Is there a US embassy in every country?

No, the US does not have embassies in every country. We currently do not have embassies in North Korea, Bhutan, or Iran. ... There are a few countries that we do not have diplomatic relations with, like Iran, where our interests are represented through the embassy of an ally.

U.S. Embassies Worldwide - A - Z

What state dept can + cant do in a crisis

What can you do crisis abroad

Lost or Stolen Passports Abroad

Help for U.S. Citizen Victims of Crime Abroad

U.S. Citizens Missing Abroad

Ways to Locate your Loved One in a Crisis Abroad

Victims of International Financial Scams

Options During a Pandemic

International Maritime Piracy and Armed Robbery at Sea

Forced Marriage


Information for Evacuated Citizens

Registration at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate (in the country you are visiting) makes your presence and whereabouts known, in case it is necessary for a consular officer to contact you in an emergency. During a disaster overseas, American consular officers can assist in evacuation were that to become necessary. But they cannot assist you if they do not know where you are.

Registration is particularly important for those who plan to stay in a country longer than one month, or who will travel to: *A country that is experiencing civil unrest, has an unstable political climate, or is undergoing a natural disaster, such as an earthquake or a hurricane. *A country where there are no U.S. officials. In such cases, you should register at the U.S. embassy or consulate in an adjacent country, leave an itinerary with the Consular Section, ask about conditions in the country that you will visit and ask about the third country that may represent U.S. interests there.

If you are traveling with an escorted tour to areas experiencing political uncertainty or other problems, find out if your tour operator is registering your trip through the State Department’s travel registration website . If it is not, or if you are traveling on your own, you can still register with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website. State Department’s travel registration amd enrollment website

Travel Tips and Documents

Make two copies of all of your travel documents in case of emergency, and leave one with a trusted friend or relative.
Anyone evacuated on U.S.-government coordinated transport, including charter and military flights, must sign an Evacuee Manifest and Promissory Note (Form DS-5528) prior to departure. Apply Here
Enroll in STEP. Subscribe to get up-to-date safety and security information and help us reach you in an emergency abroad. Enroll in STEP
If your passport has been lost or stolen while you are abroad, you will have to replace the passport before returning to the United States. Learn more, and contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance.
U.S. Embassy
Destitute U.S. citizens in need of help overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate or the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at (888) 407-4747 (or from overseas +1 202-501-4444), for information about other assistance options and eligibility requirements. Overseas Citizens Services Assistance

Adventure Land Travel Secure Comodo SSL-SecurityAdventure Land Travel AwardsAdventure Travel Trip Advisor
ADVENTURE LAND TRAVEL VACATIONS - 513 N. Michigan Ave. Box 1280 - Baldwin, Michigan 49304 - Phone (231)729-0259

Visit our Blog   Site Directory   Learn About ALT
Privacy Policy Disclaimer   CONTACT US